Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Dubai (MISS) is a technique used to repair and stabilize vertebral bones, spinal joints and to relieve the pressure on spinal nerves. This technique is used to help treat conditions such as spinal instability, spurs, herniated discs, scoliosis and tumors.
MISS is a valuable technique because it minimizes the severity of the surgery thus reducing recovery time, trauma, and secondary damage. The advantages of such a technique include:
- Better looking results cosmetically as the size of the surgical incision is minimal.
- Minimizes the loss of blood during surgery
- Minimal or no muscle damage as it is no longer required to cut into the muscle
- Reduces the risk of infection
- Reduces the amount of pain and therefore reduces the requirements for pain killers after the surgery
- Some MISS techniques can be performed with outpatients and only require local anesthesia thus improving recovery times and costs.
In addition, some MIS surgeries are performed as outpatient procedures and utilize only local anesthesia — so there is less risk for an adverse reaction to general anesthesia.
Conditions Treated Using MISS Procedures
The following are conditions that could be treated:
- Degenerative disc disease
- This is where the vertebral discs in the spine have worn down as we get older.
- Herniated disc
- This is where a disc becomes deformed and the soft center is pushed out through the surrounding wall.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- This is where the spinal canal (that contains the nerves) narrows and compresses those nerves.
- Spinal deformities such as scoliosis
- This is a sideways curvature of the spine which reduces the strength of the spine and can cause problems as we get older.
- Spinal infections
- Caused by a bacterial or fungal infection in the spine via the blood stream.
- Spinal instability including spondylolisthesis
- Caused by instability in the spinal bones which leads to one spinal bone slipping into another.
- Vertebral compression fractures
- Caused by some kind of trauma whereby parts of the spine collapse and become deformed.
- Spinal tumors
- Tumors that are located around the spinal area. They can be benign or not but should be removed as quickly as possible.
How Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Dubai Works
Because the spinal nerves, vertebrae and discs are located deep inside the body, any approach to gain access to the spinal area requires moving the muscle tissue out of the way. In general, this is facilitated by utilizing a small incision(s) and guiding instruments and/or microscopic video cameras through these incisions.
Our orthopedic team is headed by Dr Miodrag Milenkovic who has over 30 years of experience in this field. He specialises in orthopedic spinal conditions, MISS, trauma, hand surgeries and anti-ageing orthopedics using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and stem cell therapies.
Contact Us: Click HERE for our contact details and how to find us
You can download a PDF about our Orthopedic services HERE
Some more information about MISS can be found HERE